Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The New Normal

Some idiosyncrasies of living in Okinawa, Japan will always surprise me, women walking with gloves and an umbrella on a hot sunny day for example. (It's to protect their skin from the sun, but it looks hot.) However, other peculiarities have become so normal for me that I almost forgot to share them with you! For example...

1) Vending Machines Everywhere. The Japanese people love vending machines, and while sodas and teas are the most common fare I have also seen hot soups or alcoholic beverages as options. I enjoy knowing that wherever I go on island, if I get thirsty I can grab my favorite garden lemon tea from any Coca Cola vending machine on the side of the road. No having to pull into a convenience store- vending machines are even more convenient!


2) Removing your shoes at certain restaurants.


If there is a place to put your shoes, then you put your shoes there! If the tables are not western style, then you are sitting on the floor and it is rude to bring the gross outside from your shoes to where you will be sitting. It seems to me that the Japanese people wear socks a lot more than us flip-flop loving Americans, but thanks to my constant pedicures at least I have pretty toes. 

3) Toilets with control panels



Whether on the side of the seat or mounted into the wall, I love the control panels that are a part of the Japanese restroom experience. They have a build-in bidet that has been the reason for leaving the bathroom more wet than I expected when used incorrectly. They also play a flushing sound to create a sound barrier. The really high end toilets have a motion sensor so that they raise the lid and light up when you come close and provide a heated toilet seat. I think American public restrooms could learn a thing or two from Japan.



4) The Polite Signs to the Public


Taken at the caves of Okinawa World. I don't think I can follow these instructions.
It is considered rude to be too direct in Japanese culture, so all of the signs translated into English include a lot more pleases than I am used to seeing in instructional signage. 

Now that I finally have a solid handle on what to expect here in Okianwa, I am packing up to return to the stares where I am sure to miss my readily available lemon tea, light-up toilets, and signs that try so hard to not offend me.

No comments:

Post a Comment